Fajitas style Chicken Breast with Onions, Peppers & Black Beans
- 2 Chicken breast
- 1 Red pepper
- 1 Vidalia onion
- 1 Tbsp of Olive oil
- 1 Can of Goya Black Beans
- Taco seasoning of your choice
- Cut chicken into somewhat even chunks and place in a Ziploc bag.
- Cover in taco seasoning and mix together.
- Heat up a pan and spray with cooking spray.
- Place chicken in the pan, cooking for about 5 minutes each side.
- Take Chicken out of the pan and let rest.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of Olive oil to the pan and add chopped onions and peppers, cooking until tender.
- Rinse and drain black beans and cook in a pan until warm.
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes $.99 per pound
- 1 red pepper $.73 per pepper
- 4 eggs $1.66 per dozen= $.55 for 4
- 1 large cucumber $.75 per large cucumber
Total cost= $3.02 for the whole meal, that feeds 2
*Price are based on National Average
Eating healthy doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. You can make very simple healthy meals for less than a value meal at McDonald’s.
Buying meat at the market that is getting ready to expire is usually sold at a discounted price. Buying foods like this, then freezing them allows you to use them when money is short. Buy fresh veggies and not the steamed bags. Make your own coffee at home instead of going to Starbucks.
Making small changes in your spending can make a huge difference over time
This is my large lunch meal prep for the week
- Chicken Thighs (hand trim fat)
- Little potatoes
- Salt, pepper, garlic
- Taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Chicken: Hand-trim fat off the thighs, place thighs in an aluminum cooking pan and cover with taco seasoning. Add half a cup of water to the bottom of the pan and cover with 2 layers of aluminum foil. Place pan on a cooking sheet and cook for 2.5 hours. After the 2.5 hours take out of the oven, keeping pan covered, let stand for another 30 minutes.
Potatoes: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Quarter the little potatoes and spread onto a greased cooking sheet. Spray potatoes with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Place in oven and cook until tender. When tender, take out spray with cooking spray and place in broiler until the tops are crisped.
Rice: In a large pot bring 7 cups of water to a boil. Place 1.5 cups of rice into the pot and cover, stirring occasionally. Cook until all water has been absorbed by the rice. I like my rice kind of think and sticky.